For best experience please turn on javascript and use a modern browser!
You are using a browser that is no longer supported by Microsoft. Please upgrade your browser. The site may not present itself correctly if you continue browsing.

Taking out Dutch basic health insurance (basisverzekering)

What company to choose?

If you intend to take an occasional part-time job, make sure you choose an insurance company that allows you to switch easily between private insurance for international students and basic health care insurance.

  • The website (in English) allows you to compare the policies offered by the different insurance companies in the Netherlands.
  • As a student at the University of Amsterdam, you can make use of the special student deals that some health care providers offer.

Policy excess

Basic health care insurance includes a yearly 'policy excess or eigen risico' of €385 (for 2021). This means that you need to pay the first €385 in health care costs* yourself, before you can start to receive reimbursement from your insurance company.

*Eigen risico does not apply to costs for the following:

  • General Practitioner (huisarts)
  • Obstetric / gynaecological care
  • Maternity care
  • Dental care package for people below the age of 18

Citizen service number

You need to obtain a Citizen service number called the Burgerservicenummer (BSN - a unique ID number, equivalent to a tax and social security number) before you can take out basic health care insurance.

You will receive a BSN when you register with the City Hall. You can find more information about BSN  on

Healthcare allowance

People with a low income, such as students, who are covered by the basic health insurance can apply for an allowance (zorgtoeslag in Dutch) to help cover the costs of health care insurance. For more information, go to the Belastingdienst website (only in Dutch).